Handwritten Logo and Blue Immortalized
Hey there Saddleback Family,
There's a lot that goes into a good logo and a whole lot that goes into a great one. It has to be recognizable, unlike the boring and uncreative tree or mountain logo (And to all of those who are reading this and saying, "Why, I ought to….The nerve of Dave to say that our tree logo is boring and uncreative!!! I like it…kind of." Well, your logo represents you. Sorry you're offended, but the truth hurts sometimes.
Anyways, a great logo has to be pleasing to the eye, represent your style, and have significance. Basically, it has to speak of who you are.
A genius friend of mine, Gary Pierce of Sharjah Creative, helped me understand these things while working on our logo.
Once it became crystal clear why we exist and what we represent, I knew it was time to define ourselves and the people who join our family, through the logo. It's strange, but the people who choose to associate themselves with Saddleback Leather Co. are usually a lot like us. They're friendly, fun, and adventurous. They care about quality and details. They're tolerant and they love people.
The new logo says that in so many ways, and I'll explain how. But first, I give you…(please see my African Beast Bag drum-roll video for added drama)
The Brand-New Saddleback logo:
I wrote out the word Saddleback about 200 times (until my hand ached), then Suzette and I decided which one we liked most.
It's neither smooth nor shiny nor perfect. The edges are rough and unrefined and it's got plenty of flaws. But it's real because it's literally handmade. Nothing faux or fancy about it.
It was just what I wanted, but something was missing. It was Blue. He was my first business partner (sorry, Suzette), my constant and loyal friend from the start, and a huge reason that a crooked Federale didn't kill me. He saved my life more than once and needed to be honored. Not just for keeping me alive, but because he's one of the reasons Saddleback Leather Co. is alive.
Blue was one of those friendly, relaxed, easy-going, people-oriented dogs who loved traveling and having fun. Labs are bred to work, have great endurance, and love people unconditionally. He represents who we are, to the fullest, so he seemed to fit quite well as the logo. You'll see his image whenever he fits on a design (check under the flaps and whatnot).
Here's a little more about the Blue logo.
- Notice that the lines are thick and uneven. That's on purpose.
- We put him in a sombrero to symbolize that flavorful, spicy, relaxed, and wild place we love so much and where the first bag was created. Blue understood more Spanish than most of my friends and even married a "hot little girly dog". The Mexican dog population has much richer blood because of his many "friendships."
- See how the front of the sombrero is bent up? That's what happens to your sombrero when you ride hard and fast and often in the wind.
- Did you catch the hook on the back of the hat? We're all about fishing for people, and once you see, smell, and feel true-blue quality, you're hooked for life. (We're also in the business of luring new friends into our community who believe in tolerance, generosity, and charity).
- See the three rugged marks on Blue's sombrero? Makes it looked kind of worn and well used, like your bag, right? Yep, but the main reason is that the number 3 is the Divine mark of perfection and is incorporated throughout the design of creation. In math, that symbol means "does not equal" or "there is no equal."
- Finally, notice how Blue is looking ahead toward his next adventure. I hope he'll inspire you to do the same.
The Fine Print (there's always fine print…)
So, you may be wondering if we still have bags with the original logo created six years ago. We can't say for sure. There's always a chance they'll turn up in Dave's Deals, or that a friend on Facebook is selling an oldie, but they'll become rare and elusive soon, that's for sure.
More questions? It's not that we don't love talking to you—we do—but before you call our really really good Customer Care team, please keep the following in mind:
- We won't be able to trade designs with the founding logo for ones with our new one unless it's been less than 30 days since you bought it and it's still in new condition. If so, then simply return it for a refund and order a new one. But in a couple of decades you'll be bragging about being one of the early adopters and you'll be able to prove it with one of the originals.
- We can't provide a precise timetable for new logo releases (we do things slowly, by hand, remember), so if you're curious about what products have the new logo, please check website for that specific product and color since inventory runs out at different times. If the photo features the new logo, then that's what you'll be getting.
If you have any more questions or concerns, by all means, shoot us an email or call us and we'll do our best to take care of you. Thanks again.