Got back from our best Africa trip yet and we're heading back in June, but this time we're on another mission. I can't tell you about it until the fall, but when I do, you're going to roll your eyes and laugh out loud and then shake your head and then laugh some more. Here's a hint, it's kind of a research and development trip. If you're in Dundee, Scotland; Nairobi, Kenya; Kigali, Rwanda; Sydney, Australia; or Wellington, New Zealand this June/July, then maybe we can meet up. But enough of the chit chat. Here's what's in this newsletter:
- Dave's Deals are back.
- New iPad, new iPad Case (kind of)
- The largest Waterbag physically possible, a new Dry Bag size, and a few other designs are here.
- Taking photos and giving stuff away are two of my favorite things. We have a winner for the
Beast Duffel giveaway, but you still have a chance to get your hands on some sweet leather. All you have to do is send me pictures. Read more...
- Saddlebackers, we're looking for a Team Grace Saddlebiker (that one was rough) to ride with me in Death Valley. Read more...
- My hot wife Suzette has some new designs up on Love 41. Read more...
- Dave's Deals is Back - As you may be aware, we recently did a major backend website move. I don't really know what that means, but our computer guy says it's a good thing. The unpacking process has been slow. But I finally found the box with the Dave's Deals. Man we got some beauties in here. Read More...
- New iPad Case - The new iPad has launched and I've already designed a new case for it. And by that I mean, changed the name of my iPad 2 case(it fits the new iPad 3 perfectly). Read more...
- New Designs - The 14" Dry Bag is available today, joining his little brothers the 8" and 10" that launched in January. The Slim Wallet is live. It's long and lean. Perfect for a blazer or suit jacket. I designed three Padded Dividers. I use them for my camera gear. What will you use them for? Finally, the Waterbag family is complete. The 16" and 24" three-strappers both launch today. Read and see more...
- The Beast Duffel Giveaway - We have a winner. Gabrielle Harder down in Tucson, Arizona, earned herself a new Beast Duffel with a video full of cool ideas on how to use the Utility Straps. Now all she's got to do is figure out a way to fill up the Beast. No small task. Keep in mind our regular photo contest is still ongoing. I give away a $500 Saddleback store credit twice a year for the coolest photo. If Joe Montana is your uncle, your odds just went through the roof. Check out the full explanation below.
- JDRF Ride For the Cure - This October I'll be participating in the Juvenile Diabetes Research Fund's Ride For the Cure in Death Valley, CA. There's still a couple spots open on our team. Come ride with us. Read more...
- New Love 41 Designs - My hot wife Suzette has been hard at work on her own designs for her company, Love 41. They're finally available and you can check them out here.
Have a good one
If you hadn't noticed already, my Deals are back. We've been hard at work the past few months tweaking our new system and preparing
for its reintroduction. The discount levels are the same - 10% off (the handheld discount), 15% off (the three foot discount), and 25% off (the ten foot discount). We had to put the individual bag photos on hold for awhile, until our computer guy comes up with the best way to make it all work with our new platform.
The bags are still the same strong and well-made bags. Many of the issues are just cosmetic irregularities, or wrinkles or scratches that you would've done to the bag after a month of owning it yourself. It's like a head start on your bag gaining character, and we knock the price down a little because we did it instead of you. They're covered under the same 100 year warranty, same 30 day return policy, and same customer service as my regular bags. Now that's a Deal. Check out my Dave's Deals video
The New iPad Case
It's official: The new iPad 3 fits perfectly into my
iPad 2 case
. So instead of designing the same case twice, I figured I'd just change the name of the one we have. It's now called the new
iPad Case(iPad 2 | iPad3)
. Check out the case
We're already on the second launch of 2012 with more new designs coming soon. Here are a couple new things and variations on stuff I already released.
14" Dry Bag -
The idea for the
came from their big brother, the three-strap
. It took me three years to get that bag right and I can't think of any way to make it better than it is. These bags are a smaller version of that design, but with one strap, and the top rolls down more. The most protection you could give your camera and other electronics from dust, sand, rain, and small children.
16" and 24" Waterbag -
The 20" Waterbag
has been available for a while, and now I'd like to introduce you to his siblings. The 24" is about as far as you can push a design made from a single piece of leather. At least until we figure out how to grow bigger cows. These are the exact same design as the original, except the 24" does not convert to a backpack. It's too long for most backs. The 16" is perfect for a weekend. The 24" could handle a weeks worth of supplies.
Slim Wallet -
This is a really slim design intended for those good old durable American greenbacks, Euros, Pesos, Canadian Dollars and the like. It's perfect for slipping into a blazer or suit jacket pocket. Ladies, it's also a great low-profile alternative to the
if you're just out for a quick trip and don't want to crowd your purse. It's got two side-by-side pockets that will hold five cards each to start, and seven apiece once the leather relaxes. There's one long pocket for bills. And no, this wallet won't fit your checkbook. But it will fit your debit card, which is eerily similar to a checkbook in many ways.
Padded Divider -
This is a really simple design I use in my
to protect my camera gear and not have a lot of wasted air space around the gear. Load it the way you want it. It's just a dense sheet of neoprene sandwiched between a couple pieces of thinner full grain leather. The leather and neoprene are great for padding because when you wrap something, little air pockets are formed around it for added protection, like leather bubble wrap for your electronics. Check out the
to see how I use mine.
Photos for Leather
JDRF Ride For the Cure - Win a Trip to the Desert
- The Beast Duffel Giveaway -
Thank you to all who submitted to the contest, especially those tenacious Family members who submitted a half a dozen videos or more. Your hard work did not go unnoticed. We had a great time picking a winner. Congratulations to Gabrielle Harder down in Tucson, Arizona, who won herself a brand new Beast Duffel. Check out the winning video
- Our regular photo contest is still ongoing. The next contest deadline is June 21 (my birthday). The winner will get a $500 gift certificate good towards any leather on the Saddleback Leather website. To enter, submit your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Photo Contest" in the subject line. This is the only way to enter. Posting your photos on our Facebook page will not get them entered in the contest. I'm especially interested in photos of my new
Gadget Bag(hint, hint). Check out all the fine print
here (it's actually normal-sized print). The photo contest rules are down towards the bottom of the page, so just stay calm and keep scrolling. Congratulations to Doug Phillips, the winner of our December 2011 contest.
My niece Grace was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at the age of seven. Some of you have seen the
we make for research fundraising. Last year a bunch of Saddleback employees took part in the Death Valley Ride For the Cure. This year, I'll be joining them. It's a 100 mile bike ride across the desert. Want to ride with us? We've saved a couple spots for Saddleback Family members. If you think you might be interested in helping to fundraise or join our riding team, write us a short essay (200 words or less) on why you'd like to ride a bike for 100 miles across the desert with me and the rest of Team Grace. Email it to customer service (email@example.com) with "Century Ride" in the subject line by May 15. Airfare (including bike transport), lodging, and food will all be included for the winner. And who knows, there might even be some leather thrown in too. All you have to do is show up with your bike and ride. Just keep in mind this is a 100 mile haul through the desert so if you just got your training wheels off, this may not be the ride for you. It's going to be a great weekend, as long as it doesn't rain (a little Death Valley humor there, folks). I'll have more details soon. In the meantime, check out this cool video about
If you're in the Dallas area, be sure to check out the JDRF fundraiser concert in Grapevine on May 12 at 8pm. The amazing folk singer Buddy Mondlock will be performing live, and they are raffling off a large classic chestnut briefcase. You'll be helping us find a cure for my niece and others with Type I diabetes. Admission is a minimum donation of $25 per person to
. You can donate right through that link. When making your donation, note in the "Personal Note" section that you plan to attend the concert and number attending. Your donation is 100% tax-deductible and you will receive a receipt from JDRF plus a really cool
2012 JDRF leather Gracelet
. For concert details and more info email Susan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Love 41 Designs Just in time for Mother's Day
My hot wife's new designs of larger bags and whatnot are up on the Love 41 site
. My Suzette has been talking about, working on, and wearing some of these designs for a year. Her hard work and super fashion sense came together to make it a real big week in
Love 41 land
Well, that's it for now. There's a few really cool new leather designs sitting on my desk waiting for approval, so it's time to go get another cup of coffee and get to it.
Thanks for reading.