I received the extra large classic briefcase as a gift from my bride of 23 years (after some very direct hints), and am very pleased with all aspects of the product. Solid construction, gorgeous materials and its own character that conveys a message of sturdiness and stability. Saddleback is correct: my children will be fighting over this bag when I am gone.
$579.00 to $669.00SKU: #01-10-0001
- Logo may vary from what is shown
Extra Large Chestnut now shipping with lighter colored, suede side of pigskin lining
- Free shipping, 30-day satisfaction guarantee - longer for gifts.
- The bag that started it all
- Covered by our 100 year warranty
- Works in the courtroom as well as the mountain trail
- Converts to backpack for impromptu hikes
- 1 or 3 strap closure system, you choose
- 2 side straps on briefcase can be used as belts, tie downs or tourniquets
- Can be used as a carry-on during airplane travel and fits under most airline seats
- Extra flap of leather acts as a false bottom to hide your passport, cash, spare keys and more
- 8 exterior D-rings can be used to tether tripods, slumber bags, blankets, or firewood
- 4 interior pockets: 2 side pockets for pens, flashdrives, gum, and other small items and 2 pockets on center divider for cables, small notebooks
- 2 exterior side pockets for sunglasses and water bottles
- 1 rear pocket for magazines, newspapers, and airline tickets
- Internal key strap for runaway keys
- No breakable parts, e.g. zippers, snaps, buttons, etc.
- Made of tough full-grain leather, which takes hits well and looks even better with age
- Built with only a few pieces of leather, minimizing seams and weak points
- Lined with strong supportive pigskin
- Stitched with marine-grade thread, and reinforced with copper rivets
- Because of natural oils shade may vary
- Dimensions (approximate size):
- Adjustable strap length: 34 ¼” - 59 ¼”
- Exterior: 14” W x 11” H x 9” D
- Interior: 13 ½” W x 10 ½” H x 8 ½" D
- Holds up to a 13" Macbook, and most 13" laptops
- 6.6 lbs
- Exterior: 16" W x 12” H x 9" D
- Interior: 15 ½” W x 11 ½” H x 8 ½” D
- Holds up to a 15" Macbook, and most 15" laptops
- 7.6 lbs
- Extra Large
- Exterior: 18" W x 13” H x 9" D
- Interior: 17 ½” W x 12 ½” H x 8 ½” D
- Holds up to a 17" Macbook, and most 17" laptops
- 8 lbs
After several years of owning all sorts of bags, I finally decided to buy the Classic Briefcase in (L)Carbon. The quality of the bag is amazing, and it is definitely what I expected. I will say that no one can prepare you for the smell of the leather once you've unboxed it. The smell says quality, more than the look itself. I highly recommend this bag. My only disappointment is that I waited so long to pull the trigger.
The weight of the bag is over emphasized. I'm 6'3", and I find the bag to be lighter than I expected. If you are wondering if this purchase makes sense, just wait until it arrives. You won't regret your buying decision. Thanks Dave, you guys to do an awesome job!!
If I could choose any briefcase in the world to have it would be this one. One of a kind and amazing.
I just got back from a trip and my Large Classic Briefcase in Chestnut had arrived.
From the first moment I picked it up I was seriously impressed and convinced that the expensive purchase will be well worth it.
Here's another thing; this was one of Dave's Deals with a 15% discount, but I haven't found the flaw yet, the bag looks to be in tip-top condition.
My better-half tells me it sounds like I'm saddling-up to ride out whenever I'm using it!
Great product, really.
I've been drooling over this briefcase every since seeing someone carry one into a meeting. Yesterday an employee gave it to me as a gift.
I knew that I wanted one, but didn't know how much until I got my hands on it. Often, we fantasize about something and it's rarely as good in reality as it was in our minds - this was not one of those cases.
It's an incredible bag that gives me that timeless feel which merges into my MacBook Pro and iPad.
So, I shed my backpack of many years and migrate into manhood with the last briefcase I'll ever need.
I got the large size briefcase and it holds my 15inch MackBook Pro and all the other tech gadgets and items that I carry. I highly recommend it.
I was looking for an iPad sleeve and was thinking of the classic look. That soon brought me here. While I was browsing through, I saw the nice looking briefcase which can be converted into a backpack. Reminds me a lot of the Hobbit traveller. I could not decide to choose between Tobacco Brown or Chestnut. Later decided to get three items with three different colours as shown in the photo.
These would be a good companion as I embark on my PhD study adventure later this year. The smell of the leather is so nice. I'm very used to it from having chestnut leather shoes, wallet and carbon black leather belt.
I will soon order a small suitcase and small satchel. Many thanks to Tim and Jodie for helping me with the orders.
Just Quality and Pure Quality !! Unbelievable Leather !!
I'm a history teacher with fantasies of being Indiana Jones. I waited about five years until I had enough money to get the large dark coffee briefcase, and it was worth the wait. The bag is great for going on hikes and for travelling, but it looks perfect and professorial in the classroom too.
I've already got about five students who want to buy one, and I get compliments on the bag just about every time I go out.
The weight of the bag isn't a problem for me; it adds to the classic charm. I converted it into a backpack last week and hiked with it up Sleeping Bear Dunes in Michigan. It was comfortable and not a bit too heavy.
I can't wait for it to get scuffed and worn in.
Just got my Classic in chestnut about a week ago.
I previously had bought three briefcases in the last 18 months and was not happy with either of them. My wife said I was as bad about my briefcase as she was a pocketbook. Now I'm happy and she is to.
Thanks Dave for making such a beautiful briefcase.
I've had my classic briefcase in coffee brown for a few months now and as others have mentioned its ageing beautifully.
I recently returned from a trip to Tanzania and received three compliments on the bag from customs officials:
The most colorful was from the Tanzanian customs official:
"That bag should last you a century, make sure you put it in a museum when you'????re done with it!"
-- Dave do you think he's been browsing your site??
I highly recommend this bag to anyone who travels; it??????s a rugged piece of art that will bring back fond memories of your trips whenever you look at it!
My girlfriend bought me this for my birthday, even though I told her to never buy one since they are so expensive. She's a keeper. It is ridiculously beautiful. Definitely a work of art with immense durability and utilitarian value. Looking forward to 100+ years of use. Guess it's my turn to pay the big bucks and get her a ring.
After purchasing a ID wallet for myself, 6 more ID wallets for wedding gifts, a Dave's Deals Large bifold wallet, I pulled the trigger on a Large Chestnut classic briefcase. It was a Dave's deal and I can't find anything that wouldn't be noticed as a mark of character. I cannot wait to get this piece broken in and enjoy it for many years.
The build quality is superb and it seems like it is as touch as nails. Thanks for providing a great product.
I just got the large briefcase for my birthday. This is the most amazing bag I've ever seen. I thought I understood leather and had seen it all but this makes Coach, Wilson's and any other manufacturer look like knock offs. I would purchase this briefcase 100 times over. I will never go back to another bag... Not that I ever have to with the warranty! I told my wife when she gave it to me... "Now if someone is trying to rob me for my bag I might have to take a bullet for it!!"
I am a Business Development Manager in a place they call Silicon Valley. I often travel and would consider myself as well versed with the current fashion. I am the type of person that subscribes to GQ and Details... I would prefer to wear monk strap shoes rather than the traditional shoes.
In one of my business trips, while I was waiting at LAX airport, I saw another passenger carry Saddleback Chestnut Briefcase and Chestnut Duffel Bag. I was so attracted to the bags that I stared at it for a long time. The kind of attraction that I had with my wife when I saw her for the first time. (Just in case my wife reads this review..)
I felt attached to the bag even if it was not mine, so I looked for it. Searched for it in different websites: Nordstrom, Saks, Gucci, Ferragamo,etc. but to no avail. Finally, I was able to find Saddleback through Amazon. Then, I went to the website to order my own Chestnut Briefcase, Chestnut Duffel, Chestnut name tags, Chestnut slim wallet. I also bought my wife her Dark Coffee Brown Pouch and Dark Coffee Brown Slim Wallet.
I did not think twice.. Got my credit card and ordered it right away.
I own one of Dave's wallets, a portfolio, and this large classic briefcase. I'm currently Jonesing for the square backpack. All in Coffee Brown. Clearly, I'm a fan.
What I like about the classic briefcase: it's stout, attractive (in a rugged Indian Jones sort of way), and makes the sort of statement I like (it says "I bought this because I liked it -- not to demonstrate how much money I have"). It'a also very functional as a briefcase and an overnight bag. It gets a LOT of compliments and gets noticed far more than I would have expected.
Bear in mind, however, that Dave's commitment to durability means that the bag isn't as easy to live with as, say, a nylon bag from LL. Bean. Zippers may not last forever, but they are easier to use than straps and metal hardware. So be sure you know what you're buying before you commit.
But if you're like me, you'll cherish this bag -- and most of Saddleback's products -- simply because they work well, feel honest, and are aesthetically gorgeous.
I didn't buy the bag for the compliments. I just love great bags and leather. I get stopped and asked about the bag a lot.
The site refers to the XL Briefcase as being for those with overactive pituitaries. I am not one, as I am 5-10/200, but I carry the bag everywhere I go without pain or discomfort. I've had it for almost a year, and it keeps looking better and breaking in more. I use it for my daily work briefcase, and as my travel carry-on. (Yes, the XL, stuffed to the brim with a pouch attached can fit on even regional jet overhead compartments.) For instance, I put 2 laptops, my dSLR, 3 lenses, iPad, Moleskine (w/ Saddleback cover) and a book all fit into my bag, and fit into the overhead compartments.
The bag is so incrediby well-made. I tend not to baby my bags, and I have torn the handles off of several by overloading them. I am confident this bag will not have this issue.
I bought the dark coffee brown bag, as I love the color. After getting a chesnut Saddleback wallet, I began second-guessing my color choice. I think future purchases will be chesnut. Both colors are great, but the chesnut is nicer, IMHO.
The bag is very utilitarian, as it has pockets everywhere I could want them. I thought the pockets on the inside were going to be in the way, but they work perfectly, as I can stack wider objects under the interior pockets, fill the pockets and then put other items in front of the pockets.
The strap is very comfortable. I left both "pads" on my strap despite never converting my briefcase to a backpack. They help whenever I through the bag over my head and wear the strap across my chest.
I promised my wife this would be the last bag I bought, and while we both understood this to be a little bit of hyperbole (I have a bag problem...) this is the last bag I will *need.* (I might still buy the large duffel from Saddleback, though. :))
Overview: let me start by saying this is an investment, and not a purchase. I've been through undergraduate, law, and MBA school, and I must admit that I wish I had the opprotunity to invest in one upon my high school graduation. After going through 3 bookbags in undergrad, 4 in law school (lots of heavy books), and 2 in MBA school (again, the books thing), I was finally able to afford to invest in this briefcase. I've been using it for a few months now, and I have no qualms about using the term 'investment' with this bag. The quality, timelessness, and durability of this bag is undoubtedly going to serve me well for a long time. The increase in self-confidence from all of the compliments is simply icing on the cake (seriously, four comments within 5 minutes of taking it to its first class).
Product info: the large bag is the perfect size for anyone in law school, graduate school, or has to transport quite a bit of materials/electronics. I was able to fit three textbooks, three 1" three ring binders, my ultrabook/neoprene sleeve, two calculators, several pens/pencils, emergency kit, bottled water/soda, and my keys/cell phone in this thing. For someone who needs everything with them all day for a variety of classes/activities I have no doubt that the large will serve you well.
After months of wanting a Saddleback bag, my wife surprised me with one for my 30th birthday! It was even BETTER in person that the pictures on the site. Really... the pictures and video doesn't do it justice. It's simply an amazing bag. In fact, I'd call it a piece of art. It fits my 17" MacBook Pro, iPad, charger, Bible, and several other things very nicely. Can't wait to carry it to work on Monday morning!
I have had my Dark Coffee Brown large briefcase for a little over 3 years now. It is obviously a very durable bag. Also, it gets constant compliments. For example, on a recent airplane trip I got quite a few compliments and lots of stares (with jaws dropped). Most notably were two examples:
1. Boarding the plane one of the flight attendants exclaimed: "Wow - that is an amazing bag. I like it!" That says a lot from a woman who probably sees tens of thousands of bags per year.
2. In the Dallas Ft. Worth airport I was headed down an escalator to try to catch a connecting flight. I could see in the window a man in a suit was pretty well running down the escalator to ask me about this bag.
I love this bag. Also, if you pack right it holds a week's worth of clothes, or 6 bottles of rum (or a combination thereof).
Just a pic of a week old bag...
...further to my detailed review, weight is not an issue. I man you don't buy such a bag if you want nylon weight. You buy it because it is so solid.
I love it.
I rate this at 5 stars because for my uses it is a 5 star bag. But it won't be that for everybody, just continue reading for a true review.
I have had my briefcase for a little over 2 months now. I absolutely love this bag. I carry it everywhere. It has all of my necessities and plenty of room for a laptop and textbooks and such. Weight is not an issue for me, I am just over 6 feet tall and weigh in near 270 pounds, and I spend many hours a week in the gym. This bag is perfect for me.
However, that will not be the case for everybody. It is big, and heavy. If you are of a smaller frame, I recommend the Satchel or Med. Briefcase. I personally had a Satchel for a while, but it just wasn't quite big enough for my stuff. It also lacks some of the "conveniences" that those used to nylon bags would like (zippered pockets, lightweight...etc.). So that is a consideration to make also.
The quality is outstanding. The leather is beautiful, the stitching is solid, and the pigskin lining that I got is amazingly durable. I have no doubt that it will last well past my lifetime. If you have been looking at these bags, you already know that and there is nothing more for me to add.
It is beautiful to look at. I used to carry a canvas bag I picked up at a military surplus store. I picked it up in highschool, and it served me well for 3 years, but it looked terrible. I didn't carry it when wearing a suit or anything like that. Nor would I carry a nylon bag with a suit. But this bag, no issues there. It looks formal just as well as it does casual.
Overall, for me the bag is worth 5 stars. My life is in that bag. But, for some it may not work as well. It just depends on what you are after.
I've been a 100,000+ miles per year flyer for the past 12 years, and got tired of buying the black nylon rolling briefcases with supposedly a "lifetime" guarantee, but I could never seem to get more than 2-3 years out of them before they were shot. Not only that, but they were just like a million other bags out there -- nothing distinctive, and they sure don't build up character over time -- they just look old.
Anyway, this time around I decided to go with more of an old-school leather bag, but there's a lot of junk out there in that category as well. I ran across Saddleback in a web search a couple of years ago, and ended up getting a passport wallet, luggage tag, iPad case, and portfolio, all of which are great. I pulled the trigger on a Daves Deal Large Classic briefcase in Dark Coffee Brown about 6 months ago. I'm 6'4" and 220 lbs and supposed I could have pulled off an extra large, but when I fill up this one it is definitely heavy. I think the large suits me just fine, and forces me to think a little about what I really need to be carrying.
Since I received it, I've logged over 60,000 air miles with it, and it's gone to China and Germany with me. People are always commenting on it and saying how great it looks. I did have a small issue with a rivet coming loose on the handle, but Saddleback Customer Service was great. They sent me a prepaid return label, and I had it back in my hands within about 3 weeks (this was during the holidays, so it took a little longer).
My bag and I are off to China again at the end of the month!
If you're like me and you've been debating whether to get one of these, I can recommend that you go ahead and make the purchase. You won't regret it.
I have both a large & xtra-large. The large will hold a 15" laptop, and the xtra-large will hold a 17" laptop. The large (pictured, hopefully) is just about a year old now, and has been on about 110 plane rides. It's the one I use every day. With everything in it that I carry, it weighs about 24 pounds (according to the scales at airports). I use a caribiner to carry water hanging off the D-ring. The front flap isn't even broken in yet; at least it doesn't feel like it is. This bag took the place of a high-end rolling laptop case, and I wouldn't switch back to it. I believe it states on one of the videos not to overpack this bag. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. It gets mighty heavy walking from terminal C to terminal A west in PHL. I have absolutely no complaints about this bag.
I've had my bag for over a year now and it's the BEST briefcase I've ever owned! It's getting worn in and more supple every day. I switch from briefcase to knapsack mode often and it is so fast and easy to do that it's hard to believe. Fits perfectly underneath airline seats and in overheads. It is AWESOME!!!!!
i wast alot of money on stuff that i use all the time and it dont llast. The Classic Briefcase is the best bag i ever got in my life i take it every where i go i love this bag.This bag is big and it looks awesome i like how it turns in to a backpack that comes to use for me alot. I go out my way to tell every one i meet about this web site i tell them that it is run by a hard working very loveing people around you cant find many people like this this day and age and i let them know how awesome all the stuff is and how well made there items are.
- Saddleback Leather Classic Briefcase Review
- Saddleback Leather Bag Review
- Saddleback Leather Classic Briefcase Review (Medium vs. Large)
- Saddleback Leather Classic Briefcase Review (Medium vs. Large)
- Saddleback Leather Briefcase Adventure Mode
- Saddleback Leather Classic Briefcase 5 Month Update
- Saddleback Extra Large Classic Briefcase Review XL
- Saddleback Leather - Classic Briefcase - real world review after 2 years of use
- Saddleback Leather - Classic Briefcase - FIVE (5) YEAR REVIEW!
- Saddleback Leather real world review after 2 years of use
- Saddleback Leather Co Large Briefcase Large Satchel review and comparison
- Saddleback Leather Large Classic Briefcase Review - Size/Scale
- Saddleback medium thin briefcase versus the large classic b
- Saddleback Leather Briefcase / Satchel Review
- Breaking In A Saddleback Classic Briefcase
- Saddleback Leather 5 year review - Briefcase
- Saddleback Leather Medium Classic Briefcase Tobacco Dave's Deal
- Saddleback Leather Medium Classic Briefcase in chestnut
- Saddelback Leather Briefcase Extra Large (XL)
- Saddleback leather medium vs large
- Saddleback Leather Company's Large Briefcase from a a Woman's View
- Saddleback Leather Welded or Crimped?
- 7 Months
- Saddleback Thin medium briefcase unboxing HD
- Filson XL Wheeled Duffle, Saddleback Leather Beast, Bugout Duffle, Filson Large Duffle
- Saddleback Leather Classic Briefcase Comparison
- Saddleback Leather Classic Briefcase
- 15 Products with Lifetime Warranties - Popsugar
- Saddleback Bags - Chris Brogan
- Our Favorite Leather Laptop Briefcases - Cnet
- Saddleback Leather Briefcase - Hossedia
- 17 Camera Messenger Bags: What's the Best Messenger For Photographers - Improve Photography
- Briefcase by Saddleback Leather Company - InTravel Magazine
- Saddleback Leather Briefcase Review - Large - Keep Bown
- Best Leather Briefcase Review - Leather Facts
- The Art DIrector's Every Day Bag - Lifehacker
- Review: Saddleback Briefcase Will Bring Out The Cowboy In You - MacTech
- Saddleback Leather Bag - MattDuram
- Saddleback Leather Briefcase Review - Dark Coffee Brown- Large - Office Supply Geek
- Of Murse and Men: A Look At THe Saddleback Classic Briefcase for Trial Lawyers - Philly Law Blog
- 5 Disturbing Facts About The Saddleback Leather Briefcase - Scription
- Saddleback Leather Classic Briefcase Review - South Pen
- Bag Week Reviews: Saddleback Leather Briefcase - Tech Crunch
- Review of Saddleback Leather Briefcase - The Fedora Lounge
- Saddleback Leather Company Briefcase Reivew - The Gadgeteer
- Saddleback Leather Large Classic Briefcase Review - The Modern Man Bags
- Saddleback Leather Classic Briefcase: The Last Briefcase You'll Ever Need - Unbox.ph
- Saddleback Leather Part 3 - Weft & Mash
- Saddleback Leather Large Classic Briefcase Review - Best Men's Briefcases
- Saddleback Leather Large Classic Briefcase Review $568.00 - $704.00 - BestLeather.org
- The Saddleback Briefcase - MacDrifter
- Saddleback Leather: New And Improved (Part 1) - Nathan Branch
- Your Briefcase Is Probably Terrible - The Lawyerist
- The Saddleback Briefcase Oddyssey - The Vu
- Classic Briefcase from Saddleback Leather - LA Splash
- Saddleback Leather Briefcase: Beautiful briefcase turns ugly as a travel bag - Practical Hacks
- Saddleback Leather Part 2 - Weft & Mash
Our original model and top-seller: Classic briefcase with two interior pockets, large enough for up to a 17" laptop, and a magazine flap on the back.
So, in the morning, as we three, clean-cut smiley white guys emerged from the cheap hotel, everybody looked at us with suspicion.
But it was a morbidly interesting place with the relatively fresh bullet holes and anti-government messages of the rebels on the walls. Only a few years back, Ocosingo was the site of a major bloodbath where about 150 Zapatistas and Mexican soldiers were killed in a firefight, some found shot in the back of the head after surrendering. Tensions were still high. One could make an argument for it being the least touristy town on Earth. So, shortly after our silent breakfast, we headed out.
But the cool thing was, Ocosingo wasn’t far from where we wanted to be. The massive Mayan ruins of Palenque were breathtaking, and if you looked into the jungle you could see the majority of the ruins still unexcavated.
And then when we got to the jungle waterfalls of Las Cascadas de Agua Azul, we grabbed a vine, hacked it and used it as a rope swing into the river, tarzan style. The place was amazing as the clear blue river stepped down for miles creating a series of huge waterfalls. It was my original briefcase’s first big trip of many, but it easily could have been its last.