The bag looks like a fantastic piece of luggage. I would be honored to carry around papers from my bank job as well as my new laptop in this fine leather briefcase.
$790.00 to $905.00SKU: #01-10-0001
- 100-Year Warranty, details here.
- Free Shipping, details here.
- Extra Large Chestnut now shipping with lighter colored, suede side of pigskin lining
- The famous bag that started it all
- Works in the courtroom as well as the mountain trail
- Converts to backpack for impromptu hikes
- 1 or 3 strap closure system, you choose
- 2 side straps on briefcase can be used as belts, tie downs or tourniquets
- Can be used as a carry-on during airplane travel and fits under most airline seats
- Extra flap of leather acts as a false bottom to hide your passport, cash, spare keys and more
- 8 exterior D-rings can be used to tether tripods, slumber bags, blankets, or firewood
- 4 interior pockets: 2 side pockets for pens, flashdrives, gum, and other small items and 2 pockets on center divider for cables, small notebooks
- 2 exterior side pockets for sunglasses and water bottles
- 1 rear pocket for magazines, newspapers, and airline tickets
- Internal key strap for runaway keys
- No breakable parts, e.g. zippers, snaps, buttons, etc.
- Made of tough full-grain leather, which takes hits well and looks even better with age
- Built with only a few pieces of leather, minimizing seams and weak points
- Lined with strong pigskin for added strength
- Stitched with marine-grade thread, and reinforced with copper rivets for super durability
- Dimensions (approximate size):
- Adjustable strap length: 34 ¼” - 59 ¼”
- Exterior: 14” W x 11” H x 9” D
- Interior: 13 ½” W x 10 ½” H x 8 ½" D
- Holds up to a 13" Macbook, and most 13" laptops
- 6.6 lbs
- Exterior: 16" W x 12” H x 9" D
- Interior: 15 ½” W x 11 ½” H x 8 ½” D
- Holds up to a 15" Macbook, and most 15" laptops
- 7.6 lbs
- Extra Large
- Exterior: 18" W x 13” H x 9" D
- Interior: 17 ½” W x 12 ½” H x 8 ½” D
- Holds up to a 17" Macbook, and most 17" laptops
- 8 lbs
Love my bag and have had it for coming up on 10 years now, but my biggest frustration is that it doesn't stand up on its own. The front side with the buckles just rolls over and the bag ends up on its pretty face. Has been that way since I got it. Super frustrating!
I can't even believe that you are still reading reviews to make up your mind, they are all 5 stars and all awesome! XL tobacco!
Excellent craftmanship. I received it today. It's exactely what I wanted. The bag has character. I suggest to everyone out of US who want to buy it to be informed about the Costums Taxes. Here in Albania I payed 137.25 $ in the account of Albanian Costums.
My XL tobacco classic briefcase came in this evening. One word. Perfect! I was concerned that the XL would be too big, but I was able to get all my daily items in it with room to spare. Not much weight difference between the last bag I had with all my times in it and this one.
Craftsmanship. Purely top notch. My boys are already debating who gets this bag and who gets my front pocket backpack. Lol.
Saddleback does it right. Excellent quality, superb craftsmanship, and overall a fine piece to really be proud of.
Thanks Dave and the team!
This bag is awesome. I've had it for almost two years and it's breaking in nicely. I get a lot of positive comments and have seen quite of few of them in airports and on the road. I got the medium size and it's plenty large enough for my laptop, files, and other accessories. It's a little pricey but, in my opinion, worth it.
No doubt about it - this case is both beautiful craftsmanship and solid construction. You know you're carrying the best and the looks/comments the bag collects testify to that as well. Some things I really like:
The carrying strap has plenty of adjustment room and the double pads ensure a comfy ride
Haven't had a chance to use the multiple stainless rings but they offer lots of choices
Outer end pockets come in handy
Nice, full handle - you know you're carrying a real bag
Sturdy enough to probably double as a tornado shelter if necessary.
I have had my bag now almost 10 years, thought it might be time to write a review on it...
On top of being absolutely gorgeous, it has remained rock solid all these years, and just seems to get more beautiful the longer I have it.
It's been across the the country and around the world with me, and it doesn't matter where I am, not a week goes by where someone will compliment me on my beautiful bag and ask me where I got it (I should be getting a commission :) ).
I have the XL Briefcase, it holds my 17" MacBook Pro perfectly, but it is indeed a heavy beast, just make sure you hit the gym before attempting to lug this thing through the airport. :)
Like many others, I secretly visited the SBL website for years perusing the many beautiful pieces, and eventually talking myself into taking the plunge and ordering a large dark coffee brown classic briefcase.
When it arrived, I was somewhat surprised at how supple and pliable the leather was, i really felt somewhat cheated out of the experience of breaking it in, it already seemed to be right out of the box. But I got over that, and commenced my journey.
I've had my briefcase just a few months shy of a year, and I have had no feelings of regret in purchasing it. I've used it for a great many things. I've used it for normal business (laptop, files, pens, cables etc), it's seen service as an overnight bag (change of clothes, dog food and treats, collapsible bowls), it's carried recording equipment, wood carving tools, anything and everything I've needed a bag for to transport something, has been in my SBL briefcase. I don't treat it with kid gloves, that would be disrespectful. It's made for life, and it lives mine along with me. It's more than up to the challenge.
I've grown very fond of this bag, it goes where I go, it does what I need it to do without complaint. As others have said, it's classic styling and ruggedness will garner you many compliments and questions. The only real problem with Dave's products are, you'll want to live your life with more SBL companions. I can think of worse things though.
I'm a bag freak. I have so many bags. I looked at this website for a month before I made a decision. My wife says that for every bag I buy, I have to donate a bag to charity. I can honestly say that my Large Classic Briefcase in Chestnut will be the last bag I ever buy. I can give away all of my others. There's no reason to keep them, this is the only bag I will carry for the rest of my life........ well, except for a backpack I have that was equally expensive.
I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with any Saddleback Leather product. This won't be my last purchase from them. And...... the compliments are unbelievable! The first day I wore it, I was bombarded with OMG's!
My wife bought me the large dark coffee brown briefcase when I headed out into the private practice of law after an almost 8 year stint as a government attorney, a job that I loved. She gave me the briefcase with a kiss and said "good luck." My wife has unrivaled taste. For over a year now, this bag has been my constant companion to work, on the road and back home. It now bears the marks and wear of my efforts for the past year. It is sturdy and strong, humble and proud. This bag will be by my side for the rest of my life. Thank you, Honey.
This is one of the coolest things I have ever owned. The quality is amazing. Everyone asks about it. I cannot explain how impressed I am.
This bag is hands down, the nicest bag I have ever come across. I use it for work, storing my laptop, iPad, accessories, as well as important documents. On the weekends, it makes a great carry-on or overnight bag for trips. I have received a million compliments and questions about it. I have owned mine for over 4 years and it barely broken in, but just keeps looking better and better with age.
I recommend Saddleback to everyone who asks me about my piece.
This is my first Saddleback purchase .. but definitely not my last. This is the best constructed and best looking bag that I have ever seen and I am more than happy with my purchase. Bad thing is, this may have become sort of an addiction with me as I am constantly looking on the website for what I want next. Dave, when are you going to start making boots and my GF wants a conceal carry purse
I got my extra large briefcase over a year ago and I can tell you one thing (or maybe 2 or 3 things...) the extra large is large indeed. If you have any qualms about size, this thing is BIG. It's heavy when loaded and it will make the smaller framed person have to stop and rest on a long walk through an airport, or wobble under the weight. So, if that's an issue, get a thin briefcase or get a smaller size.
It also will have issues fitting under an airline seat. You've got to break it in in order to fit it under a seat. Before it's soft, it's pretty stiff and requires some good use to break it in. So, those warnings are in order.
I am 6'3", 230 pounds and can handle one, and I love it. I call it the elephant and it's the best quality piece of gear I've owned and I have had a few really great leather articles (an 80s Reunion Blues electric bass gig bag etc...) So, whatever you've heard, it's true - these things are monsters and are built to just keep on going. After a year of use of mine, it's still got a ways to go to even look used...
So, I personally feel it's worth every dime. Their customer service is great too. I had a broken rivet and they were all over themselves fixing things and I really feel they stand behind their products and their guarantee.
Good Morning Everyone,
I have not bought one of your fine pieces of merchandise yet but I have seen your exceptional workmanship and have told a lot of others about your website. One of my friends went on the other day and purchased your medium size brief case and he cannot say enough good things about it. My goal is to continue to spread the word about your fine product and one of these day even order one for myself. Thanks and keep up the great work.
I use several SBL wallets daily but my messenger bag and I just didn't click. It's a big square without much depth so it doesn't always fit under the seat in front and doesn't carry much gear. Great looking bag, no doubt about it, but not that great. So I went back to using a nylon bag I got for free at a trade show but that ain't me either. After looking at all the non-SBL options I could think of, I kept coming back to the site, and eventually decided I'd give the classic briefcase (DCB/Large) a go.
I didn't have high hopes, to be honest, but I'm so glad I ordered it. The large classic briefcase is TOTALLY me. Despite being heavier than the messenger bag I have already taken it on several business trips stuffed full of clothes and equipment and I had no trouble lugging it around. Because it's more rectangular and amenable to being compressed a little heightwise, it fit even under the aisle seat where legroom is restricted by the seat support. I walked through a couple of thunderstorms with it and everything inside stayed perfectly dry even though I was wet through. The size is just great for me, it holds a lot of gear, the interior pockets are perfect for holding the SBL passport wallet and the exterior pockets easily fitting a soda with no squeezing of the interior contents.
Another thing - the whole 12 months I have had the messenger bag I've only ever received one compliment. I've had the briefcase for one week and I've had a dozen comments already.
Please note that I am in no way affiliated with Saddleback. I don't know these people and don't care to know them either, but what I do know is that this product is extraordinarily good value. During my search for a new bag I was handling Italian leather with a $4000 price tag, but they felt flimsy and dull compared to this SBL briefcase. I know they're not for everyone but I can honestly and objectively say that all the positive reviews you read are right on the money. It really is that good.
The bag is even more magnificent than I had anticipated. After seven months of obsessively checking the Saddleback Leather website, reading every review of both this and the front pocket briefcase (and every other item Saddleback item in existence), and fanatically refreshing the Company’s Facebook page, I finally pulled the trigger. I could not be happier with my decision.
The medium size fits me perfectly (5’8” – 170 lbs). Like others have said, the bag has some weight to it, but it doesn’t bother me. My previous leather bag, which I purchased at some tourist trap in Florence, weighed next to nothing. This, as it turns out, is because it was really made of some cheap vinyl garbage. Thank you, Dave, for YouTubing some sense into me. You are the Morpheus to my Neo.
All of this goes without saying, but I will reiterate a few things. Firstly, the fit and finish on the bag is impeccable. The leather is rich, thick, and seemingly bulletproof. Secondly, it radiates masculinity in a way that diminishes even my own. Thirdly, I have been totally unable to locate the alleged “blemish” that prompted the 10% discount.
If you are considering buying one of these, do it. If you are concerned about the cost, don’t be. You will have no regrets once it arrives. The worst part of the experience is having to check the UPS tracking website 58 times an hour; breathlessly wondering if some brute is mishandling what will shortly become your most prized possession.
I have always love quality leather products but they are hard to find, I like to pay more and only buy once. When I would look to see what grain of leather was on the product I was researching, I could'nt find it until I found Saddlebackleather company. Dave tells you Full-grain and seeing the tanning process I knew I had found my leather source.
I bought the large briefcase in Tobacco and I could'nt be happier, it holds my lunch, 2 water bottles, surefire flashlights, leatherman, knife, spare phone, bible, kindle, cords, pens, ipod, earbuds, GPS, camera, cords, notepad, glasses, sunglasses. I use it everyday for work and I enjoy it very much, the price is not much when you consider you will have it for a lifetime and look for a Dave's deal, it helps. Its thick, sturdy and built well and you will know your hard earned money was well spent.
I have bought 4 other products and they are all superb!! built to last and take a beating if they have to, or take a lifetime of use, just get one and you will be happy you did. Most like good quality, well it comes with a price. Love my Bag!!!
I bought the large in tobacco and it is hands down the most well constructed bag I've ever seen. The leather is obscenely thick, the stitching is doubled everywhere and rivets are used in every critical stress point. I can't imagine the thing will fail, but if it does I know the warranty has me covered.
It is a little on the heavy side for a briefcase, but that comes with the territory. If your on the fence, jump on over - the grass is greener over here.
I wanted a XL dark coffee brown classic briefcase, but they were out of stock. Just for the heck of it, I checked Dave's deals out and there was just what I wanted for $100 bucks off.
Now I'm just the kind of person that never buys anything used or damaged, but for some reason I took a chance and ordered the case that was supposed to have some imperfections.
About three days later, there is my Dave's deal case and I have not been able to find anything wrong with the briefcase. I am happy as a clam with the entire purchase experience.
I have read some people mention the weight, but the case is constructed out of thick high grade leather...it's going to be heavy compared to thin, lightweight leather or vinyl. The heaviness helps to protect what you put in the bag, and helps the bag keep its shape when it's full of books and papers.
I can't say enough good things about the construction and quality of this briefcase. It is well worth the money. The service was impeccable also, as they send you an email when the order is received and when it is shipped with tracking information so you know when to expect it at your front door.
I wish all my shopping experiences went this smoothly. I recommend this product without any reservations.
On at least two previous occasions, I have bought briefcases or bags that I thought would meet my needs. Though they met my initial needs, they needed up being not big enough because I either underestimated what I needed to carry, or got additional responsibilities which required me to carry more stuff. As a result, I had to get another, larger bag.
With such a big investment, I figured I should go big rather than be disappointed that it would be too small once I started using it and ended up getting the XL bag in Chestnut. While the medium might have served my needs, I saw some YouTube videos where the reviewers were saying that they probably should have gone up to the large. I was lucky because I found it on Dave's Deals (that particular weekend, the same bag in medium and large were also available).
I just got it today and opened it up. To say I was shocked at the size would be an understatement. This thing "looks" about 20% bigger than I thought it would be. The amount of storage room is incredible. The product is extremely sturdy and well-crafted.
The reason I bought this bag was because I will be attending a short-term, full-time professional program this Fall at a area university and felt that I needed to present a more "professional" look for the course. (That, and the time in the course will allow me to break it in before returning to work so the bag won't look like a "graduation present".) I can not only haul around my books and materials, but just figured out that I should have more than enough room to carry my lunch and snacks on a regular basis along with an umbrella, jacket, and gloves for those occasions that require it.
The only real downside I can see of owning this bag is that it might aggravate my back issues because of how much it can hold (not to mention the 7+ pounds when it is empty.) I also don't think it would function well as a backpack, even for a short time, but I never seriously considered it a factor when making my decision anyway. It is a bag that will last me the rest of my life. I am looking forward to enjoying the journey.
I wanted this bag for over a year before I was finally able to make myself spend this much money on a bag. My only regret is not doing it sooner! If you are thinking about buying this bag, just buy it and you will understand! Thank you Saddleback and Dave for putting such incredible products on the market! I am a Saddleback fan for life!
I've had my bag for about a year and (God willing) I have a long way to go yet. My Saddleback is not simply a briefcase; it's my "battle bag". Packed within I hold office where ever I go, do my business on the fly; when I pluck it down, it says "this is the main headquarters." When I've gone to meetings and/or 'work situations', I've pulled out more 'hat tricks' then several hockey championships from the bag. Now, when I hit the road I simply load up my bag and go out the door knowing that when I arrive, I'll be ready for business.
Slight caveat: these bags are heavy and they're not for everyone, but speaking as one whose gone through business bags / briefcases like some folk go through kleenex, so far what Dave Has Wrought kicks some major butt. Besides, I always could use a decent workout.
Now, the only thing I have to do is get my bag branded so that when I leave it on the conference table, and go about the board room chatting it up, my enemies (and their attorneys) will tremble with fear and my allies stand in confidence as I give out my infamous trademark laugh and watch more suckers eat the bullet and get dragged out - to 'suggested retirement' or simply court ordered time.
I may not have a horse and a gun, but with my Saddleback bag, I still can tame the wild east.
Keep on rocking, Dave!
PS: love your video regarding knockoffs; brilliant!
I struggled when I was searching the web for a good comparison of the large and the XL classic briefcases. I was stuck and had no idea which to get based on the size difference. I didn't want the XL to be too big but also wanted to ensure that I could carry everything that I needed in the Large. To solve my problem I ordered one of each, luckily both popped up on Dave's Deals within a few days of each other.
I'm 6'1" 205lbs. So I'm not a small guy by any means but I definately wouldn't call myself hercules either. The large is honestly a great size, there is no reason you could not carry everything you need in this bag. My issue with it mostly has to do with the laptop situation. I love Dave and all of his products but I do not think he will ever convert me to being a Mac computer guy. So because I use a PC I'm always in this weird gray area for his different sizes. My 15.6" Dell fit snugly and securely in the large but I like to keep my laptop in a case or sleeve so the large wasn't quite wide enough for that.
When I first saw the XL I was a little worried, it looks quite massive upon first glance. People complain about it's weight, lets be honest here guys is the large like carrying a feather around? Negative. The weight difference between the two really isn't that much when empty, the only time it becomes a problem is when you load the XL as much as possible. One thing I didn't realize would be so nice about the XL is that extra inch of height that it gives you, it allows my to keep my medium notepad holder in there vertically instead of having to lay it down horizontally. This gives more room to carry other things.
For those of you who are back and forth between these two sizes here is what I would tell you:
1. If you travel a ton with it and need to carry more than just into the office or from the house to the car the XL may be too big and bulky.
2. Figure out your computer situation and use that to help you, especially if you want to keep it in a case.
3. I can't speak for those of you who are shorter than I am but the XL does not look too big on me in my opinion, so don't worry about that. It's not about what it looks like on you anyways, its about how functional it is and how sexy the bag is no matter what size/color you get.
I decided to keep the XL and could not be happier with it, whichever one you decide to buy you will enjoy so go ahead and pull the trigger already!
- Saddleback Leather Classic Briefcase Review
- Saddleback Leather Bag Review
- Saddleback Leather Classic Briefcase Review (Medium vs. Large)
- Saddleback Leather Classic Briefcase Review (Medium vs. Large)
- Saddleback Leather Briefcase Adventure Mode
- Saddleback Leather Classic Briefcase 5 Month Update
- Saddleback Extra Large Classic Briefcase Review XL
- Saddleback Leather - Classic Briefcase - real world review after 2 years of use
- Saddleback Leather - Classic Briefcase - FIVE (5) YEAR REVIEW!
- Saddleback Leather real world review after 2 years of use
- Saddleback Leather Co Large Briefcase Large Satchel review and comparison
- Saddleback Leather Large Classic Briefcase Review - Size/Scale
- Saddleback medium thin briefcase versus the large classic b
- Saddleback Leather Briefcase / Satchel Review
- Breaking In A Saddleback Classic Briefcase
- Saddleback Leather 5 year review - Briefcase
- Saddleback Leather Medium Classic Briefcase Tobacco Dave's Deal
- Saddleback Leather Medium Classic Briefcase in chestnut
- Saddelback Leather Briefcase Extra Large (XL)
- Saddleback leather medium vs large
- Saddleback Leather Company's Large Briefcase from a a Woman's View
- Saddleback Leather Welded or Crimped?
- 7 Months
- Saddleback Thin medium briefcase unboxing HD
- Filson XL Wheeled Duffle, Saddleback Leather Beast, Bugout Duffle, Filson Large Duffle
- Saddleback Leather Classic Briefcase Comparison
- Saddleback Leather Classic Briefcase
- 15 Products with Lifetime Warranties - Popsugar
- Saddleback Bags - Chris Brogan
- Our Favorite Leather Laptop Briefcases - Cnet
- Saddleback Leather Briefcase - Hossedia
- 17 Camera Messenger Bags: What's the Best Messenger For Photographers - Improve Photography
- Briefcase by Saddleback Leather Company - InTravel Magazine
- Saddleback Leather Briefcase Review - Large - Keep Bown
- Best Leather Briefcase Review - Leather Facts
- The Art DIrector's Every Day Bag - Lifehacker
- Review: Saddleback Briefcase Will Bring Out The Cowboy In You - MacTech
- Saddleback Leather Bag - MattDuram
- Saddleback Leather Briefcase Review - Dark Coffee Brown- Large - Office Supply Geek
- Of Murse and Men: A Look At THe Saddleback Classic Briefcase for Trial Lawyers - Philly Law Blog
- 5 Disturbing Facts About The Saddleback Leather Briefcase - Scription
- Saddleback Leather Classic Briefcase Review - South Pen
- Bag Week Reviews: Saddleback Leather Briefcase - Tech Crunch
- Review of Saddleback Leather Briefcase - The Fedora Lounge
- Saddleback Leather Company Briefcase Reivew - The Gadgeteer
- Saddleback Leather Large Classic Briefcase Review - The Modern Man Bags
- Saddleback Leather Classic Briefcase: The Last Briefcase You'll Ever Need - Unbox.ph
- Saddleback Leather Part 3 - Weft & Mash
- Saddleback Leather Large Classic Briefcase Review - Best Men's Briefcases
- Saddleback Leather Large Classic Briefcase Review $568.00 - $704.00 - BestLeather.org
- The Saddleback Briefcase - MacDrifter
- Saddleback Leather: New And Improved (Part 1) - Nathan Branch
- Your Briefcase Is Probably Terrible - The Lawyerist
- The Saddleback Briefcase Oddyssey - The Vu
- Classic Briefcase from Saddleback Leather - LA Splash
- Saddleback Leather Briefcase: Beautiful briefcase turns ugly as a travel bag - Practical Hacks
- Saddleback Leather Part 2 - Weft & Mash
Our original model and top-seller: Classic briefcase with two interior pockets, large enough for up to a 17" laptop, and a magazine flap on the back.
So, in the morning, as we three, clean-cut smiley white guys emerged from the cheap hotel, everybody looked at us with suspicion.
But it was a morbidly interesting place with the relatively fresh bullet holes and anti-government messages of the rebels on the walls. Only a few years back, Ocosingo was the site of a major bloodbath where about 150 Zapatistas and Mexican soldiers were killed in a firefight, some found shot in the back of the head after surrendering. Tensions were still high. One could make an argument for it being the least touristy town on Earth. So, shortly after our silent breakfast, we headed out.
But the cool thing was, Ocosingo wasn’t far from where we wanted to be. The massive Mayan ruins of Palenque were breathtaking, and if you looked into the jungle you could see the majority of the ruins still unexcavated.
And then when we got to the jungle waterfalls of Las Cascadas de Agua Azul, we grabbed a vine, hacked it and used it as a rope swing into the river, tarzan style. The place was amazing as the clear blue river stepped down for miles creating a series of huge waterfalls. It was my original briefcase’s first big trip of many, but it easily could have been its last.