This is a very well made product. Saddleback provides more than enough waxed patches in the set. It's basically a lifetime supply of the little things. The fire starter is solid and very light. The wood handle feels really good, and the striker works as it should.
As the product description describes, the waxed pouch will leave a bit of wax residue behind at first. If this is an issue, simply keep the pouch in the plastic bag it comes in when you have it in your pack.
I use this like a "possibles pouch". I took out about half of the waxed patches and added in dryer lint. The dryer lint catches even faster than the wax patches. I then added a few other items I like to have at all times on the trail or on the river like a small flashlight and rescue whistle. I like this product because I can keep it my backpack for family hikes or in my sling pack when I fly fish.
Fire Starter Set
- 100-Year Warranty, details here. (Case only; Does not cover fire starter or scrap)
- 30-Day Money Back Guarantee. If you’re not happy with your leather, send it back to us for a full refund. As long as you return it in like-new condition there’s no hassles, we promise. Details here.
- Free Shipping, details here.
- From the Mountainback collection
- Three piece set includes flint fire starter stick, waxed canvas fire starting scrap tinder, and a waxed canvas case to keep it all together
- Flint stick has a magnesium fire starter rod embedded in a Padauk wood handle and a scraper to get the sparks flying; Strung together on a leather lanyard for safe keeping.
- Canvas case is constructed with tough 24 oz. Scottish waxed canvas that can also be shredded and used as tinder in an emergency; Secured with a thick Dark Coffee Brown Old Bull leather tie that is also removable for emergencies.
- Case is packed with scrap waxed canvas tinder to help get a fire started
- Slim design slips into packs easily
- To use, place the waxed canvas scrap over a pile of tinder. Simply shave a small amount of magnesium from the rod onto your tinder using the side of the scraper. Hold the rod at an angle over the pile and forcefully slide your striker down the length of the rod creating sparks to ignite the fire.
- For those that blow dry their hair in the bathtub:
- This is not a toy and not to be used by children
- Not recommended for anyone under 18 years old
- For outdoor use only
- Only light fires in safe and permitted locations
- To be noted: Waxed canvas is the original water resistant fabric, and comes with the attendant charms and quirks of being a centuries-old technology. In the young days of your case, you may experience slight wax transfer from the canvas to any particularly absorbent contents in the case.
- Dimensions (approximate size):
- Canvas Case:
- Exterior: 3 ½” H x 7 ¼” W x ¼” D
- Interior: 3 ¼” H x 7” W x ¼” D
- Flint Stick:
- 5 ½” L x ¾” W x ¾” D
- 0.45 pounds (total)
No excursion could be considered properly outfitted without a failsafe way of starting a fire. The Mountainback Fire Starter Kit comes in a rugged 24oz Scottish waxed canvas case and slips easily into your hiking pack or briefcase. The kit ships with a supply of waxed canvas tinder, and you can also shred the case and set in on fire if things really get dire.